Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mighty Girl!

I remember a few years ago, when Bug was a wee thing, Little Bear insisted on walking to the ice cream store near our house. Except that it's a mile away. But she wouldn't back down,  even as I continued to ask her if she wanted papa to pick us up in the car.

"It's OK just to go part way," I said and, "It's still really far, do you want to drive?" Really? Total parent fail. Luckily I caught myself in time and cheered her on the rest of the way, even when she did eventually get tired... and she did it!

So tonight, at our school's track meet when she asked to push Bug's stroller, I said yes. Even though it was one of the cheap umbrella deals from Walmart that is impossible to steer. And there were a million people. And I was pretty sure there was going to be a thunderstorm.

And Little Bear pushed it almost all the way to the car. Through a dirt and gravel path, up a grassy hill, and around corners. When she had trouble steering,  she bent down and aimed the wheels in the right direction. When she struggled, she pushed harder. Again, I cheered her on and again, she surpassed my expectations.

So here's to you, Little Bear, and to mighty girls everywhere. May you keep walking and keep pushing and may your mama always cheer you on. Even when it's about to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment