Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Second attempt at diaper covers.

After making yet another trip to the fabric store (which of course, I have to go to a different town for) I have completed a second diaper cover. This one is way better than my first, though I still have a long way to go.

Second Cover 1

Second Cover 5

Second Cover 3

Second Cover 2

Here is how I addressed my problems from before:

1. I used velcro. It’s not perfect, and I forgot to sew the squares on to the tabs before I sewed the cotton and the PUL layers together. But other than that, it worked out well. Oh yeah, and the band that the sides attach to is too close to the seam. But those things can, with some concentration next time as I’m sewing, be fixed.

2. Sew on the elastic from the outside (cotton side), not from the inside (PUL side). I did this. Acutally, what I did was use a straight stitch with the PUL side facing up, then flipped it over and did another straight stitch with the cotton side up. This way it hid my first straight stitch and it looked nicer.

3. Use straight stitch, not zig-zag. Did it.

4. My pattern was too big. I didn’t actually make it smaller, even in the crotch. I’m not sure why…

5. My elastic didn’t bunch enough. For the stretchy parts, I actually sewed in a piece of swimsuit elastic first, then did the FOE over that. It was much stronger and worked much better. That was Beth (the lady at the fabric store)’s idea.

I might actually be ready to try with fabric that I like more. We’ll see how it fits tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you're trying to make your own covers! I wish I was as brave as you!

    ReplyDelete