Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy birthday, Little Bear.

Well, we made it a year. As you might imagine, I have spent a lot of time over the last few days thinking about this past year and what it has held for our family. A year used to seem like such a long time. Everything could happen in a year and the time between Christmases seemed like an eternity. And then you get older and time sort of speeds up a bit until you have a baby.

Those first moments with that little one, the quiet minutes in the hospital between 3 and 4am when all you can hear are whirring machines and muted voices in the hallway, in those moments a year still seems like forever. It is inconceivable in that instant that this tiny person will one day laugh, walk, talk, make decisions, refuse to eat anything but yogurt and black olives... life simply stops and those tiny breaths and the soft fluttery eyelids are literally your entire world.

But then morning comes and more guests show up to meet this little person and the story of your life continues to write itself. This little pink person suddenly starts to notice their world and, better yet, notice you! There is no laughter yet but you will do anything to make those eyes sparkle. You agonize over ounces, rock until your arms tingle, and hang on every new milestone as if this little baby was the first in the world to sit up and roll over.

And before you know it, a year has passed. I spent my day at my daughter's first birthday party and just marveled over the speed at which this year has gone. Yes, I have had my share of endless wakeful nights and she was sick for almost two months which might as well have been two years... but I remain breathless at the speed of time.

So today I say this to you, Little Bear, before another night passes and I forget to write something down. You are my world. Everything about you is equally amazing and beautiful and I am so blessed to be your mom. You have changed so much in the last year and watching you today was breathtaking. You are walking on your own, starting to say words, and constantly interacting with everyone and everything around you. You are so strong and independent and everyone who meets you is just drawn in by your personality, your smile, your eyes. I wish an endless childhood for you, full of days like today where you are surrounded by people who love you and the world seems to stretch out into eternity. Thank you doesn't come close to covering it so I will say "I love you" and hope that those words, with all the gratitude and awe and peace that come with them, suffice.

Happy birthday, Little Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment