Monday, February 14, 2011

Diaper cover attempt #1

As a direct result of some late night internet searching this weekend, I’ve gotten it into my head that I want to try and make my own diaper covers. My lovely husband enabled me and took me to a giant fabric store to get materials. Two days and many hours later, this is what I came up with:

First Cover 1

First cover 3

First Cover 2

And this is what I’ve decided/learned for future attempts:

1. Use velcro (aplix), not snaps. While my cheap self prefers snaps in covers that I buy (because of the longevity of the snaps versus aplix) they are MUCH harder to work with than velcro is. I say this, of course, after only one attempt, but I really think I need to get better at the rest of the cover sewing before I tackle snaps again. Plus, as far as I can tell, you can only buy plastic ones online and then I can’t have instant gratification.

2. Sew on the elastic from the outside (cotton side), not from the inside (PUL side). As you can sort of see in the bottom picture, the elastic on the outside looks terrible because I couldn’t see what I was doing.

3. Use straight stitch, not zig-zag. I’m not actually convinced about this yet but the Thirsties Duo covers that I have use straight stitch and they look fine. It’s easier to make it look nice (see #2) also, by doing it that way.

4. My pattern was too big. Specifically, too wide in the crotch area. I will make it smaller next time.

5. My elastic didn’t bunch enough. I don’t know how to fix this.

Overall, though, I guess it was successful. I am especially happy with the gussets, as they were a bit difficult to work with. I think it will be way too big for Little Bear but we’ll try it on tomorrow anyway. Also, this was my least favorite fabric so I’m glad I used it first. I’ll try again tomorrow… stay posted. Maybe if I actually get good at this, I’ll post a tutorial so all you more talented seamstresses (seamsters?) can show me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment